THIS BLOG IS ON HIATUS.

Sweet Sleep (Children of Ankh #1) by Kim Cormack

Publisher: Corvallis Press
Published: August 7, 2014
Genre: Paranormal Fantasy
My Rating: 3/5

What would you do if you discovered that everything you’ve ever known to be your reality was a lie? What if…The things that go bump in the night, things you thought were simply a figment of your wild imagination are in fact very real? Would you live your life differently if you knew you were going to be corrected…erased from this world sometime around your sixteenth birthday? You and your twin sister were never meant to be born. There will be no place to run…No place to hide…You won’t even know they’re coming…Do you have what it takes to survive your Correction? Do you have what it takes to leave your humanity behind?If your answer is yes then hold on tight... …it’s going to be one hell of a ride!

The story started with no dilly-dallying. I was introduced to a set of characters that are no less than intriguing. From the start, I was acquainted with the twin, Chloe and Kayn Brighton. This twin cannot be more different. Chloe is the popular and prettier one and guys fall head over heels with her. On the other hand, Kayn is the complete opposite. She thinks she is the lesser of the twin. There's also a guy character, Kevin who will play a big part in the story later on. I absolutely love the monsters in this story. They were harrowing, ruthless and have thirst for blood. The monsters are exactly the sorts of monsters that everyone have nightmares about. These monsters are literally the best monsters one could ask for. The idea of the conflict of the story is definitely a good one. It was unheard of. The Correction and how the twin caused it was an idea that is so marvelous. I absolutely love it.


In the beginning, a whole bunch of characters was introduced. However, I felt like Kayn's twin, Chloe was almost nonexistent and nearly an insignificant character based on how little I've seen of her. Chloe is definitely an important character later on in the story but by the way she was handled, it's almost like she was not. The story was not lagging in the introduction but instead, it was too fast. I feel like the story took off without setting a solid ground for it to stand on. Tragedies happened to characters that I don't even feel attached to yet. This is mainly because although the characters were mentioned, it was only done offhandedly and in a manner of which it was only because of the necessity to get the characters known to readers.
Also, I think they were just too many characters. New characters just seems to popped up every few chapters. 


I am absolutely tired of a main character that be like "I'm pretty but not that pretty for a guy to fall in love with me". What makes it worst is that one twin feels she is less pretty and less outgoing than the other one. I feel like it's an overused sentiment. Also, I hate it how Kayn realised that Kevin became hot in the seven months she was in comatose. Apparently, he became handsome because of a heavy emotional stress. Well, maybe his growth spurts was activated because of the emotional baggage? But, still, it's not possible for him to grow some muscles unless he work out! So, at first Kevin was an unattractive dork but a few months Kayn was in comatose, she woke up to a handsome man who finally realises that he loves her. How lucky.

Overall, I give this book 3 stars because I think it has a pretty solid story and an intriguing one definitely. However, it also have a lot of minor setbacks that irritates me and of which I can't ignore. Nevertheless, it was an enjoyable read and one that I do not regret.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...